My very first blog post! You have been warned that I have quite a sweet tooth if you read the “About” on the upper right side. If you haven’t go and read it! Just a short introduction about this blog and myself. I am gonna start sweet for a sweet New Year!
This recipe I got from MasterChef Australia. I was browsing for new recipes and I came across this light and refreshing dessert. My first thought of this recipe; Lemon? Not a big fan of it with dessert. But I cant always cook only chocolate. I know right? Who doesn’t like chocolate for dessert? It’s just too hard to resist! So I have to give it a try.
Baked Lemon Meringue Tart
Before I begin, I must say the tips for both baking and cooking. Always clean as you cook. This way you won’t be left with tons of things waiting for you to be clean or wash.
We gonna start with the sweet dough for the tart. I must say that it’s very easy and pact of vanilla flavor! Love it! I can eat the tart just like it is without any filling in it!
90g Unsalted Butter
50g Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 Vanilla Bean, seeds scrapped and bean discarded
20g Almond Meal
160g sifted Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour
1. Cream the butter, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add vanilla bean seeds and beat until fluffy. Add egg and mix to combine. Add almond meal and flour and mix until mixture forms a dough.
2. Place between two sheets of cling wrap, flatten and refrigerate for 2 hours to rest.
3. Flour bench, lay pastry on top and dust again with flour. Roll to a desired thickness and prick well with a fork. Cut rounds with a 12cm cookie cutter and lay into 10cm diameter tartlet cases. Gently press into tins to fit and roll over tartlets with a rolling pin to trim edges. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Bake at 160°C for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Easy huh? While it’s baking and cooling. We gonna continue with the lemon curd filling. It taste sweet yet there’s a little tanginess to it, that I find it refreshing. Not heavy at all. So it’s suitable for summer! And come on, just look at it. Vibrant yellow color dessert with a little caramelized meringue on top makes you just wanna dig on it and have a taste!
Lemon Curd Filling
30g pouring cream
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
30g butter, diced
1. Pour cream, lemon juice and zest into a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, add half the cream and juice mixture and whisk to combine. Pour back into the saucepan with remaining cream and cook, whisking until mixture comes to the boil and thickens.
3. Pass through a fine sieve and whisk in butter until thick and glossy. Allow to chill for 30 minutes. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe into baked tart shells.
Now lastly, the meringue. It’s easy but sometimes it tends to be tricky to beginners. I remember I failed several times making it when I first learn how to make it.
Tips : Clean Clean Clean bowl and whisk! Simple tips but makes a huge difference.
2 egg whites
140g caster sugar
1. For meringue, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add caster sugar, beating well between each addition until dissolved.
2. Pipe meringue onto the filled tartlet cases and brown with a blowtorch.
And there you go! The dessert is complete!
Enjoy and hope you change your mind about dessert like I do. Not everything is about chocolate! Be adventurous with your taste buds!