This is one of my mum’s famous dishes! She got lots of compliment cause the egg that she steamed is SO SMOOTH like baby’s skin! Lot’s of people find it very tricky to get the smooth result. But it’s not that tough if you know the trick. Sometimes small things make a huge difference. So the trick for this smooth egg is the heat. She reminded me NOT to use high heat, just use medium to low heat. And you will get it right. Be careful when you mix the water and egg. You don’t to create bubbles. She like to steamed the egg plainly without any condiments. I added some crabsticks and shiitake mushroom. Oh! And another thing, I think its usual if you ask your mum for recipe, and all you get for an answer are what type of ingredient they put inside but never the measurement. Not because they don’t want to give it to you. But they cook according to their instinct when it comes to measurement.
So same with my mum, she didn’t give me any measurement. All she said are, water, egg, chicken stock, if you want condiments then add the condiments. That’s all I get! For a person who never ever steamed an egg before it’s tough. I was so worry that it will turn out to be runny steamed egg. That will be yucky! Don’t you think? And thank goodness, I got the right measurement the first time! So it saves me time and ingredients.
Chawanmushi (Steamed Egg)
100ml Water (I dissolves some chicken stock)
Salt for tasting
1 Crab Stick
1 Shiitake Mushroom
This recipe only fit for two portions.
- Slice the crabstick and shiitake mushroom to whatever shapes you desire.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, beats it using a fork.
- Add in the water and salt. Combine it slowly making sure that there are no bubbles.
- Strain the egg mixture using a strainer.
- Pour the egg mixture into the small steam dish.
- Steam it over medium to low heat till its cook. To test if it’s cook, use a toothpick to prick the center. If it comes out clean, it means it’s cooked!